Tag Archives: New York

Yankees Cursed by Republicans

  • The Yankees have gone nearly 60 years without winning a World Series under a Republican president.
  • The ‘curse’ coincides with former Yankees owner George Steinbrenner getting in trouble for making illegal campaign contributions to President Richard Nixon.
  • The Yankees have won nine World Series under Democratic presidents during that same GOP losing streak.

Yankees
The New York Yankees’  loss to the Houston Astros in Game 7 of the American League Championship Series last week guaranteed that a nearly 60-year-long losing streak would continue.

The Yankees, the team that holds the most championships among the major US professional sports franchises, hasn’t won a title under a Republican president since President Dwight Eisenhower was in office in 1958.

During that time, the Yankees won nine championships under Democratic administrations, going 9-2 in World Series they have participated in. The Bronx Bombers have made five World Series appearances during Republican administrations since their last title win in such circumstances, losing each time.

Eric Columbus, a former official in President Barack Obama’s administration, brought the point up on Twitter on Monday. Columbus pointed to former Yankees’ owner George Steinbrenner’s 1974 guilty plea for providing illegal campaign contributions to former President Richard Nixon’s reelection campaign in 1972 as the true starting point of this “curse.”

“He avoided jail time, but was suspended from baseball for fifteen months,” Columbus tweeted. “And a curse was born.”

Donald Trump Jr releases Secret Service

Donald Trump Jr., the president’s oldest son, is giving up his Secret Service protection, according to a person familiar with the matter.

MDC says, GOOD FOR YOU .The person, speaking under condition of anonymity, was not authorized to comment publicly.

The Secret Service said in a statement that “to ensure the safety and security of our protectees and their families we will not confirm who is currently receiving Secret Service protection.”

The New York Times reported Monday night that Trump Jr. is declining the protection so he can have more “privacy.”

Yet Trump Jr.’s decision to forgo protection could be a big cost-savings for the agency already strained by President Trump’s frequent travels and large family.

As USA TODAY first reported in August, the Secret Service can no longer pay hundreds of agents it needs for an expanded protective mission under Trump, who has spent almost every weekend traveling to properties he owns on the East Coast.

More: Exclusive: Secret Service depletes funds to pay agents because of Trump’s frequent travel, large family

More: How Trump could ease the burden he’s putting on the Secret Service

More: Secret Service director tells agents: I am ‘fighting’ to get you paid

Director Randolph “Tex” Alles said last month that more than 1,000 agents have already hit federally mandated caps on annual salary and overtime allowances meant to last the entire year. Congress would need to intervene to get these agents paid.

In an interview, Alles acknowledged the president’s large, 18-member family but added that there was “no flexibility” in the service’s mandated protective responsibility. “I can’t change that,” he said.

Trump can’t pay for his own Secret Service protection because it could raise legal issues under the Anti-Deficiency Act.  Yet Trump’s immediate family is allowed, under the law, to decline Secret Service protection or find other options, such as private security.

As Trump Organization executives, Trump’s children – both Donald Jr. and his brother Eric Trump – take frequent trips to promote Trump-branded properties across the globe, from their home base in New York to places as far-flung as the United Kingdom and Dubai. Eric’s business trip to Uruguay earlier this year cost the Secret Service nearly $100,000 just for hotel rooms, as one example.

Under Trump, the service is protecting an unprecedented 42 officials, up from 31 during the Obama administration.

Trump’s Visit to the UN

2048

President Trump used his inaugural address at the United Nations on Monday to criticize the world body for not living up to its “potential” because of bureaucracy and urged member nations to reject “business as usual” and take “bold stands.”

“In recent years, the United Nations has not reached its full potential because of bureaucracy and mismanagement, ” Trump said at the 72-year-old organization during a meeting on reforms.

Despite a ballooning budget and a doubling of staff since 2000, Trump said, “We are not seeing the results in line with this investment” and encouraged UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to focus more on people than bureaucracy.

“We seek a United Nations that regains the trust of people from around the world,” the president said in his tightly scripted five-minute address. “In order to achieve this, the UN must hold every level of management accountable, protect whistle-blowers and focus on results rather than on process.”

“We encourage all member states to look at ways to take bold stands at the United Nations with an eye toward changing business as usual and not being beholden to ways of the past, which were not working,” he said, pledging the US would be a full partner in the reform efforts.

Trump, who will address the General Assembly on Tuesday, also said none of the 193 member nations should shoulder a “disproportionate share of the burden — militarily or financially.”

And he called for creating “clearly defined goals and metrics for evaluating the success” of the UN’s peacekeeping mission around the globe.

With the changes, Trump said, “I am confident that if we work together and champion truly bold reforms, the United Nations will emerge as a stronger, more effective, more just and greater force for peace and harmony in the world.”

In his address, Guterres said what keeps him up at night is the ” bureaucracy … fragmented structures, Byzantine procedures and endless red tape” of the UN.

“I even sometimes ask myself whether there was a conspiracy to make our rules exactly what they need for us not to be effective,” he said.

Later Monday, Trump was expected to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and French President Emmanuel Macron.

9/11 Dust and Heart Disease

77374810001_1785349122001_ari-origin06-arc-142-1344977603105

More than 100 children who were exposed to chemical fumes from the 9/11 attacks have a far higher risk of heart disease than they should, a new study says.

After the Twin Towers fell on September 11, 2001, the disaster site was omitting toxic fumes of mercury, asbestos, and jet fuel.

Experts say the fumes lingered until at least July 2002, when the clean-up was declared complete.

Now, an analysis by NYU Langone Health researchers of 308 children in the World Trade Center Health Registry (WTCHR) has shown the devastating impact this had on young people.

The 123 children with higher blood levels of the chemicals known to be in the dust had a 15 percent increase in levels of artery-hardening fats in their blood.

It is the first concrete study to lay bare the long-term cardiovascular health risks in children from toxic chemical exposure on 9/11.

In fact, a week after the attacks the EPA assured citizens that the site ‘did not pose a health hazard’. 

The agency has since admitted that was wrong – and some say that even today people living in Lower Manhattan are exposed to dangerous fumes.

MAD AS HELL

mad-as-hell

ANOTHER “NETWORK THE MOVIE”,
​​ “I’M MAD AS HELL AND I WON’T TAKE IT ANY MORE”, MOMENT

Some news junkies have forgiven the networks until now over the miserable coverage of elections that gets worse every cycle. Today we are bombarded with this presidential primary season full of the worst punditry ever seen on our tv’s.

Wall to wall Donald, positive, negative, over the top, you can’t turn to any news program without his image and a repeated news cycle story, only jumping to Bernie and Hillary, Ted and John, as colorful fill. Just the way stories are framed and dragged on repetitively, one reporter after another with the same information stated differently one hundred times or more.

You channel surf and he is in your face. His puckered mouth, his assumptive “I know everything better than everybody” attitude makes New Yorkers want to puke.

Sure there are many people out there, informed and uninformed, blinded by the covered up bigotry of the man, bigoted by privilege and a false sense of birthright, silver spooned perspective on how the world works. America the one that got suckered into buying Chinese garbage products instead of “Made In America”, (our gift from Nixon trying the commerce side of life as a way to lower the China Commie threat), highlights a perfect example of Chinese influence with the Donald. In bed financially with the Commies, we should use the term Peking Donald the front hawker.

The sad reality is that it may be time to just chuck the damn tv out the window, and at least dramatically scream, “I won’t take it any more” as an act of liberation.

mad-as-hell

Networks have been bought out by the bottom line. Network assumption is that this kind of twenty four hour coverage of an Ugly American is a cash cow. What it is, is a dumbing down and it is corporate sponsored.

We Americans take it up the butt with network and cable tv not delivering what REAL NEWS we need. We need trustworthy coverage of the candidates and the state of affairs of our citizenry. We need information not agendas.

Looking for a savior in a President or a presidential candidate, a hero that can bring us into lost prosperity will require a rethink and a review of our expectations. We aren’t finding answers from our news outlets. Congress has been out to lunch since Obama became President. Most people are too burnt out trying to survive to even know what is in their best interests politically and their future prospects financially. That won’t change if the News corporations have there way. Americans have become serfs to mediocrity and we the people are at a point where “We won’t take it any more”.